Due Date

Due Date (IMDB)
(2010)


I had good hopes for Due Date, really. I thought from the trailer that it was going to be way funnier than this. And why wouldn’t it be? It’s got that guy from the Hangover in it. And Robert Downey Jr who can deliver funny lines very well.
But I didn’t sympathise for Robert’s character at all, and cringed too much at Zach’s character to find it genuinely funny.
Some lines are chuckleworth, but the last 20 minutes of the film are way too unlikely to make it work.

I have watched too many French comedies with that sort of pairing (aka intelligent but slightly unsympathetic man + very stupid yet touching man) to find it original anymore. (Check most of Patrick Veber’s filmography out, especially Le Diner de Cons, to get a vague idea of what does work). 

And yes, I think that for this sort of comedies, you need to stay in the plausible to make the film better.
So Meh, Due Date, MEH!

Comments

Popular Posts