Bridesmaids / Mes meilleures amies

I only caught Bridesmaids on DVD months after it came out because one of my workmates had thought it was so hilarious she had wanted the DVD as a birthday present.
It wasn't bad, but I guess that as everyone had been raving about it, I was expecting to find the film funnier. It still was an agreeable watch.
Annie's asked by her just engaged best friend Lillian to be her bridesmaid, and when she meets the 4 bridesmaids, a silly competition starts between her and Helen, Lillian's new rich friend, over who loves the bride-to-be the most.
Bridesmaids sums it up pretty well: it’s going to be about women and a wedding. I can’t really recall if the bridesmaids know each other very well at the beginning of the film, but I guess not. They all are friends of the bride, but not really friends with one another, which is what annoyed me about the French title, “Mes meilleures amies” (aka “My best (girl)friends”) and I don’t think that it was meant to be ironic, with the fact that some of them don’t get on, much.
That’s the thing - the other bridesmaids aren’t Annie’s best friends, Lillian is, and it feels like Annie only has one good friend in the world, and that is why she gets so competitive and silly when she realises Helen is trying to steal her only friend.
Quebec had the good idea to translate the title correctly by “Demoiselles d'honneur”, une demoiselle d’honneur being a bridesmaid in (most) French speaking countries.
Go Canada!


Quick poster analysis, what I thought when I had a look at them:


English country speaking one: All women seem equal and apart from the bride, none really stand out. French poster: you know who the main character is, and the other women are just badly photoshopped in the background, not even in their gown, taking the wedding dimension away again.

Also, I noticed while looking for the poster that the Spanish title is "La boda de mi mejor amiga" (My best girlfriend's wedding), not a bad try and Korea went for "My girlfriend's wedding" - not fantastic, but at least they kept the wedding in!

Comments

Popular Posts