Le dîner de cons vs Dinner for Schmucks

Apparently, the American rip off adaptation of Le dîner de cons is quite bad. 

I can't hide that I have been a bit worried about that one since I read about the remake, and 
I had a funny feeling that it was going to be yet another good foreign language film that had been completely wasted by Hollywood's big brains (or lack of). 
Yup, the trailer I saw the other week left me unamused, despite some actors that I really like having been cast in the film (and you can watch it and waste 2:27 minutes here. No, no need to thank me, really...).
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so: my dear Peter Bradshaw gives Dinner for Schmucks one star (review here) and there was another bit in the Guardian about it this morning yesterday.

They mention, as in the NY Times article I quoted in my post a few months ago, that the title bothers some people in the US: "Dinner for Schmucks is a loose remake of the French film Le dîner de cons, which was retitled The Dinner Game for the English language marketplace, but in fact translates as the rather more biting "dinner for cunts", a fact which (bizarrely) a large number of critics seem to have only recently become aware of. Much fuss has been made of the US version's rather poor Yiddish, with Debbie Schlussel pointing out on her blog that "a 'schmuck' is basically a 'prick', not a geek, unless they're referring to the boss and his friends who make fun of the geeks. The more correct title would have been 'Dinner for Schlemiels' or 'Dinner for Putzes.'""

I disagree with the translation of "cons", as you might know, (sorry, just an excuse to link to that old post again) and I was quite pleased to read this (first) comment:
""con" = "cunt"? Really? The character in the original film - presumably now played by Steve Carell in the remake - is certainly a stupid and socially inept idiot but he doesn't have the harsh connotations of our 'c' word. I don't think that the dictionary backs that assertion up either.


I really enjoyed Le Dîner de Cons and it worked precisely because the con was unaware of the implications of his actions, not because he was a heartless cunt. I've no idea what the correct Yiddish term should be but make it one without the hint of nastiness. Unless, of course, the Hollywood remake is a much darker film than the European original - and that would be a first, wouldn't it?"

Sir, whoever you are, I like you! :)



Another case of USofA vs France...

Comments

  1. I just found your blog because I'm doing an essay about Le Diner de cons vs. Dinner for Schmucks for my "Communication Across Cultures" Module at University - I study French and Translation Studies! Its very helpful, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts