Sweet Home Alabama/Fashion Victime

(Fashion victim with a typo)

I like Reese Witherspoon. She's pretty (Despite her jaw so big it can be used for opening a safe)


In Sweet Home Alabama (that I have only seen once, ages ago, so help me IMDB) she plays Melanie “A young woman with a white trash background runs away from her husband inAlabama and reinvents herself as a New York socialite” and finds a new guy and wants to get married so she comes back to Sweet Home Alabama to get divorced and falls in love with her husband again, or something.
Obviously, the song title is Sweet Home Alabama, by Lynyrd Skynyrd (not a Welsh name?). Any one with some rock culture would know that. (The song is “immense” or “a tune” depending onwho you ask).
So I guess that the rock reference would not have been lost to the French. And I'm certain most people know the expression “Home Sweet Home” (I remember that from Tom and Jerry).

Why (mis)translate to Fashion Victime? Well, she is a fashion designer (Is a fashion designer a fashion victim? That's debatable) so it's probably easy to jump to conclusion.

What drives me over the edge though is adding an unnecessary “e”, which is a perfect illustration of rule 2 (Aka, the Magic E rule): take a title in English, change it to another title in English with or without similarities, and add an "e" somewhere to make it more French (I have other examples of said rule) when the original title would have worked fine/would not have required an extra effort from the French public, or a translation would have been easy to find and way less ridiculous!
I don't remember thinking that the film was horrible, so I guess it was ok. Legally Blonde is still my favourite Reese comedy, though :)

Comments

Popular Posts