The Twilight Saga: New Moon/ Twilight chapitre 2 - Tentation

(Twilight, chapter 2 - Temptation)

The name of the second volume of the "Twilight Saga", New Moon, was "translated" into French as Tentation (Temptation). God knows why.

Yes, I did read the books. Many people criticise them for being a bit dumb. Sure, it's not Pullitzer material, but Meyer can write addictive stories and whoever makes people stop reading the daily mail (no, no capital letters from me) and dig into books is my hero. And whoever makes teenagers stop watching crap on TV and actually read is even better.

Anyway. There is a theme in the books' titles, related to celestial phenomena, and all nightish ones at that, which I found quite clever for a vampire series - and this got lost in the French adaptation to start with, the first book being called "Fascination".

I guess that from a marketing point of view, if calling the first film Twilight, there was a risk for the readers not to recognise the title and not bother with the adaptation, so they named the first film: Twilight, chapitre I : Fascination. It's not like there isn't a word for Twilight in French either... Crépuscule is the one you're looking for. And it's not like there was another book called "Crépuscule" either (I checked, couldn't find anything).
So, being so illogical for the first book, they obviously had to carry on with the second one. New Moon (Nouvelle Lune) was called (as mentioned above) Tentation.

Which makes it for the typical French mislaid in translation: part English, Part French, with some sort of explanation at what the film is about: a bit like Paul Blart, Mall Cop (Yeah, I know, this one is without the French bit, but I have a few other examples I need to expand upon later).

As for the film, you ask. Well I liked it. It's not my favourite film of the year, but it was fairly entertaining. And full of cuties.

Comments

Popular Posts