The Switch / Une famille très moderne

A very modern family

I have not seen The Switch as I can't stand Jennifer Aniston (I like Jason Bateman, though).
So I'll just find a synopsis and do a neat copy and paste
“Kassie decides she wants to have a baby. Despite the objections of her best friend Wally, she chooses to do it alone, with the services of sperm donor Roland. (blablabla) Wally replaces the sperm with his own. Seven years later, blablabla”
There. Easy. Well not really, I had to edit some bits.

The Switch focuses on one little thing, one little gesture, that could have an infinity of consequences. It is quite a good title, I have nothing against it. Although I first wondered if it was a spy film or something of the likes.


The French one, Une famille très moderne, does not agree with me.

The problem I have with it is that, as the film was criticised for looking quite progressive to start with and then reverting to traditional family values, it's not a very modern family at all, in the end.
But then, what were they to call the film? L'échange? It would have been cool and accurate but unfortunately, that was the title they chose for Changeling, which could have been called “Changelin” because it is a real word.
Another proof that sometimes, a little switch can have an infinity of consequences.

Oh yeah, obviously this should not be confused with Modern Family, which I quite like.

Comments

Popular Posts