Cowboys & Aliens / Cowboys & Envahisseurs


(Cowboys & Invaders)
Warning:  this is a lazy rant (of some sort).

This film looks fun enough although it is being promoted as being “by the director of Iron Man” and that’s the sort of thing that irritates me, because I'm quite pedantic about that sort of things, and especially since Jon Favreau also directed Elf. 
I think that would have looked so much better on the poster if it was saying: “Cowboys & Aliens, by the director of Elf”. Nevermind.
I never considered how translated the title would be until I saw a (French) ad for the film this morning 15 minutes ago.
And yes, obviously, I think that Cowboys & Envahisseurs is an absolutely stupid title.
Here’s why:


1/ It winds me up to only partially translate a title. Yes, yes of course everyone knows what a cowboy is, because it’s one of the many words that translate into... the same thing (Pretty much like week end.)  but still. It’s not like no one knows what “aliens” means.

2/ Translate aliens into invaders? Seriously? When Alien was translated to Alien, Monsters Vs Aliens translated to Monstres contre Aliens, and AVPR: Aliens vs Predator - Requiem is Aliens vs Predator: Requiem. Couldn't they keep the original title for a change? It's not like they've not done that before.

For these 2 reasons alone, I believe this is one of the laziest titles ever translated.
I believe I should create an award for that, I think...


Comments

Popular Posts