The Lincoln Lawyer / La Défense Lincoln


The Lincoln defence


When I said to one of my friends that I’d just watched The Lincoln Lawyer and really liked it, he blurted something that was a bit like “But... But... There’s Matthew Whatshisface in it!”.
Matthew McConaughey. And I never thought I would say that he was actually good in the role. Like I never thought I’d praise Chris Evans (Twice, actually, in Scott Pilgrim and in The Losers).
Following summary courtesy of wiki (sorta):
“Moderately successful criminal defense attorney Mickey Haller (Matthew Whatshisface) operates around Los Angeles County out of a Lincoln Town Car driven by a former client working off his legal fees. While most clients are drug dealers and gangsters, the story focuses on an unusually important case of wealthy Los Angeles realtor Louis Roulet (Ryan Philippe) accused of assault and attempted murder.” He appears to be set up by the female victim.  (and no more because of massive spoilers)
So the novel and film are called the Lincoln Lawyer because the Lawyer works from the back of a Lincoln car. The car even is on the film poster. 
I don’t get the French title. I googled it to see if I was missing anything - you know, a special chess move or something, but I don’t think I am.
There are a lot of references to Abe Lincoln, but nothing more than that.
So I am still trying to make sense of it. The fact that the book title was translated as La Défense Lincoln too by a professional translator (you know, people who translate books for a living?) is quite worrying.
My suggested title? “L’Avocat en Lincoln”. I know it’s not the best title ever but at least it’s true to the original. 

Comments

Popular Posts