BBC on "Dubbing Hollywood"

Hollywood dubbing: The German Bruce Willis and other invisible stars
I did say something about dubbing a little over a month ago.
I don't usually quote myself but I wrote:
" - Talking about subtitles. It is now official that subtitled films rule.

I have to admit that I will take a subbed film over a dubbed one any day of the year, although, with the amount of Korean films and series I watch, I am used to the reading. That’s something that really irritated me when I was in France over Christmas: the dubbing. Not that the French are bad at it (well, they aren’t too great, but considering how much they dub everything, they have a little bit of practice), but it is that, after a while, you realise that there are only a handful of people who dub for a living, so everyone sounds like everyone else. I am looking at you, dude who dubbed Daniel Craig in Skyfall. You also do Robert Carlisle and Willem Dafoe, and Mark Strong, apparently, and sometimes Clive Owen, and sometimes Robert Downey Jr and many many others.

Ok, I admit, you didn’t do a bad job, it just felt... weird to hear you instead of DC. 

Yes, when you are used to seeing some actors in their mother tongue, it feels all kind of wrong to hear them with another voice, and, to me, it robs the actors of some of their identity too.
Imagine a world where Ian McKellen does not sound like this? Well that's France for you!"

Comments

Popular Posts