Finding Nemo / Le monde de Nemo

Nemo’s world


I started calling Finding Nemo by its German title, Findet Nemo, years ago because the friend I borrowed the DVD from had bought it in Germany. 
I sometimes really have to concentrate to remember the real title.

News came a couple of weeks ago that there was going to be a sequel (another sequel?), news to which one friend commented “What’s it gonna be called? Found Nemo?” and another “Take it Nemo’s going to get lost again?”.
In French, it is “Le Monde de Nemo”. It isn’t a bad title as such, but, for me, it changes the perspective on things a little bit.
“Finding Nemo” is the story of what happens when a little clown fish called Nemo gets taken away from his reef and his father, Marlin, decides to go looking for him.
Finding Nemo Marlin’s focus, his mission, and most of the film happens between the losing Nemo, and the finding Nemo. (For me, it’s a bit like Saving Private Ryan is more about the saving than the Private Ryan. (I really need to comment on this film at some point!))
Most of the film is indeed centred towards that goal: finding his son.
Although some scenes in the film have Nemo at their heart, most of the obstacles and other characters are encountered by the dad.
The title “Nemo’s world”, on the other hand, is not about a journey, but is centered around Nemo, which would be all fine by me if the whole film was Nemo-centric, but my "problem" is that we don’t really see Nemo much, and when we do, we see him outside of his world - mainly in an aquarium.
I have already discussed the difficulty of translating the -ing form in French (I just found a bit on wiki about this, you can just skip to "French") but there are ways to manage the translation.
“Trouver Nemo” would have been, in my opinion, a much better translation, as I think it would have kept that “mission” feel to it.

I know it isn’t as much of a horror as many previous translations I have discussed, but some (most) things are about details and minor differences

Comments

Popular Posts