OSS 117: Lost in Rio

OSS 117: Rio ne répond plus (IMDB)
(2009)
First time watch: 22 August 2010
Avoid
Why avoid? I remember that I thought the first one was mildly amusing but I probably was in a better state of mind than when I watched the sequel.
The dialogues are probably meant to be tacky, and they probably would have been fine had it been for the REALLY bad translations that were on the DVD and that I was unable to remove. This made the whole film intolerable (yes, I'm one of these people who read the subtitles even though I understand what's going on).
As an example, when asked how she's doing, someone replies "comme un lundi", which was translated as "okie dokie!" WTF? 
On top of the bad translation, the main character is a blatant racist and chauvinist. Even though his views are vaguely challenged at various points in the film by the different minorities he mocks, and I guess his opinions are here to emphasise a vision of the world that should be long dead, he still wins and gets the girl, thus probably reinforcing some "old fashioned thinkers" in their idea that only "the West way" is the best and that women should be kept in the kitchen and make babies.
Since some cretin of a French man saved the day. 

Comments

Popular Posts