Step Up 3D/Sexy Dance 3 : The Battle

Sexy Dance 3 : The Battle



This article in Le Monde made me realise that there was yet another attempt to sex up a title that wasn't intended to have any reference to the s word in the first place. the first one I discussed ages ago here was Cruel Intentions and the other one I can think about right now is Wild Things that got "translated" as Sex Crimes - I was going to write a whole big fat post about this, but as I already made my point for Cruel Intentions, I don't want to repeat myself (too much). I've not seen the film I'm going to discuss here. I've not seen Step Up 1 or 2 either, unsurprisingly. Step Up 3D is the third film in the series. "Step" is an obvious reference to the dancing theme of the films. And it's now in 3D. Ha ha, clever. I wonder what they're going to do with the 4th one, if there is ever going to be one.





Please note the "togetherness" of the original poster and the slightly sexy pose, while the "French" one has a slightly violent top image (illustrating the battle) and what looks like a romantic embrace to me at the bottom, (illustrating the "sexy") which seems slightly conflictual to me.
This one is about "A tight-knit group of New York City street dancers, including Luke and Natalie, team up with NYU freshman Moose, and find themselves pitted against the world's best hip hop dancers in a high-stakes showdown that will change their lives forever. " as the synopsis says.
The French title is not in French Sexy Dance 3: The Battle. I am lost for words. I have produced the argument (here) that some English words would be more diffult for French people to pronounce ("the" is definitely the most difficult sound in the English language) and that it could justify a change of title. But definitely not here. Step Up is as easy as anything. And why change it from 2 words + 3D to 4 and a number? Did they have to make it this obvious that it's a dance film - maybe in the hope of some nostalgic moment people would associate it with Dirty Dancing? And why use that war world of battle when it's barely a talent contest? Who knows?
Note that the "French" title, doesn't even mention that it's in 3D.
So it's a fail on all accounts (and nice use of rules 1, 3 and 4)
I wish I could be at a box office right now, just to hear someone asking for a ticket for "Sexy dance trois: ze battle". The thought of it makes me :)

Comments

Popular Posts