G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra / G.I. Joe - Le réveil du Cobra

GI Joe, the waking of the Cobra.

I commented some time ago on what a naff film that was, 
despite some decent effects and a very good international cast (including my favourites Christopher Eccleston, Jonathan Pryce, Saïd Taghmaoui, Dennis Quaid, the lovely Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the fantastic Lee Byung-hun - seriously, what were you all thinking?). I tried to forget about it but was reminded of this naffery by my recent trip to France when I noticed an array of mistranslations (definitely more posts to come).
This was one of them.
I will happily admit that I lost concentration when I watched the film fairly early on and I have no clue who that Cobra guy is, but I know it's a person. And that he is rising.
The French title evokes something else. It's funny how a single word changes the meaning of something. I'm not going to go through a whole grammar session or anything, but just not that if "de" had been used instead of "du", that would have meant that a person is waking up.
Not a big fat snake that just had a major nap, feels cranky afterwards and wants to have a little snack. 


Comments

Popular Posts