Whip It / Bliss

Whip It (IMDB)
(2009)

Whip It is as good as a coming of age can be.

Bliss, whose mother is obsessed with beauty pageants, discovers roller derby and becomes a local star.
Ellen Page is as witty and touching as usual, and it is quite refreshing to have strong female characters, and a lot of them in this film that Drew Barrymore directs (I hope she does more). Special mention to Alia Shawkat (Maeby of Arrested Development) who is funny and touching as the best friend and Juliet Lewis who is as mental as ever. I really thoroughly enjoyed that.
Whip It refers to a roller derby movement when a skater is grabbed by the arm or the hand and is being pulled forward or "whipped". It is used to build speed.
The French title for this is Bliss, the name of the main character. Although I can understand the change of title, I can't help but find it funny as Bliss's nickname on the rink is Babe Ruthless. I really like the contrast between the two.
I guess the irony was probably lost on the French.

Comments

Popular Posts