Breathless / 똥파리

Shit-Fly (IMDB)
2009

I was surprised to like 똥파리 as much as I did. One of my friends described it as “aggressive, dark and rough”. I agree, but it is also a very poignant film.
It is the story of Sang-Hoon (Yang Ik-Joon who also directs), who works as a debt collector. He is quite a violent guy: he has a habit of slapping people around when working, verbally abuses his very cute nephew and sister and insults nearly everyone around him, even his boss. 
One day he meets Yeon-Hee, a high school girl who is no stranger to violence: she is trapped between a father who's lost the plot and an abusive brother (who unknowingly starts working with Sang-Hoon later).
Their first encounter is unsurprisingly violent. He spits on her (accidentally), she slaps him and he punches her in return.
The violence is probably something they recognise in each other and against all odds, despite fairly abuses first exchanges, they bond. 




I believe the original title, meaning shit (or dung) fly, is a reference to Sang-Hoon: his job as a debt collector means that he lives off other people debts.
I really don't know why it was translated as Breathless, which is the English title of another foreign film, French A bout de souffle, which is a much older and more famous film.
And apart from being extremely good, I fail to see what the 2 films have in common and why this title was chosen.
Some things I guess are meant to remain a mystery.





Comments

Popular Posts