Cemetery Junction

Cemetery Junction (IMDB)
(2010)



First time watch: 16 September 2010
Meh.
Why Meh? It's not that it's a bad film as such but I was expecting more from Gervais and Merchant.
It's not unfunny but not as funny as it could have been. And that coming of age tale feels like you've seen it all before. 

And Merchant is only in one scene :(
Don't get me wrong: Gervais is funny and finally acting his age, and the film was fairly charming at times, but I have to say I was a bit uncomfortable with the gay and racist jokes, and, even when I was telling myself that the film is set in 1973 and that sort of language was probably common back in the days, it still didn't make me less ill at ease. And the only way for a woman to escape a potentially disastrous marriage is, once again, to be rescued by a man. Boohoo.
In all fairness, a meh is a bit harsh, but it doesn't deserve a yay, so meh + maybe?

Comments

Popular Posts