Legally Blonde/La Revanche d'une blonde

A Blonde's Revenge



Sometimes I write a post in a couple hours (that is usually in reaction to something I've read), sometimes I start writing and run out of inspiration (and the post stays stuck in my word document for days or weeks) and sometimes I just intend on writing something and never get round to it (and then see an article or have a conversation with someone that gets me going).
This post is a bit of all the above. I thought about Legally Blonde for weeks before starting writing, then stopped and finally saw this article and decided I should go on and finish this. 

Legally Blonde is, I think, the third film I comment upon that stars Ms Witherspoon. 


It is one of my guilty pleasures. I don't know why I don't have it on DVD - maybe because I would feel bad for owning it, but feel compelled to watch it whenever it is on TV.

It is as silly as a film can be: Elle, who seems beautiful, blonde and dizzy gets dumped by her boyfriend because he is going to Harvard Law school and he doesn't think she is good senator's wife material anymore. So she decides that she should get to Harvard too, to win him back. Against all odds, she succeeds, makes new friends in the process and proves that because you're very blonde and like pink, you're not necessarily mega stupid.
It's mostly about why judging people on their appearance is a bad idea because what matters is what's inside, I think.
It is another of these films where the supporting roles are as good as the main character and there is a very useful lesson to be learnt on perms.
The original title might inform you that you're in for a bit of court drama, with the legal and all. Or about someone who's over 18, depending on how you see things. 
The French title is all about revenge. It echoes La vengeance d'une blonde (A Blonde's Vengeance) a film that I only vaguely remember and that was neither funny nor clever. But it is still rather popular, for reasons unknown to me.
Maybe that's what they were trying to do? A unrepentant display of rule 4 (refer to a previous title to bring people into familiar territory). 
Canadians, you gotta love them, tried a bit harder with "Blonde et légale" (Blonde and Legal) but surely, surely a literal translation to "Legalement blonde" would have done the trick just as well, no?

Comments

Popular Posts